[N/481/8/0789] [MQA/PA 12390]
A Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Computing is the highest level of academic qualifications one can achieve. This qualification sets you apart as having developed an exhaustive understanding of your selected focus area in the discipline of computing, placing you at the cutting-edge of your chosen field of research.
Our PhD program provides you with opportunities to undertake extensive investigation within your chosen computing field and you are expected to develop new ideas, findings or employ well thought-out methodologies to produce noteworthy theoretical and practical contributions. You will utilise the best-suited research methodologies to explore and/or test informed ideas.
The outcome of your research should extend and advance the frontiers of knowledge and you will disseminate the scholarly findings to peers and practitioners, through academic and professional networks, conferences, seminars, exhibitions, and even publications.
UCTS has a dedicated team of academicians and fellow researchers to assist and mentor you along your research journey, as you investigate a topic of your choice.
You may pursue a topic or an issue in which you are currently researching within your work place, in which case your PhD can also be of direct relevance to your current employment. Alternatively, you can choose to undertake research in any particular area you are passionate about.
- A Master’s Degree or equivalent AND candidates must have completed at least ONE (1) of their earlier Degrees (Master’s of Bachelor’s) in Computing or related to computing; OR
- Candidates registered for Master’s Degree by research programmes with a Bachelor’s Degree level may apply to convert their candidacy to PhD programmes subject to having shown competency and capability in conducting research at PhD level and approval by the University’s Senate; OR
- Other equivalent qualifications recognized by Malaysia Government.
English Language requirements for international applicants:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) 500; OR
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) 6.0; OR
- Other equivalent qualifications approved by the University Senate
Submit a 1,000-1,500 word prospectus (Research Proposal) explaining the proposed research in the chosen field of study
The PhD program is purely based on individual supervised research. Candidates will be exposed to Research Methodology Course (3 Credits) to strengthen their research knowledge. At the end of the candidate's study, a thesis must be submitted and upon successful defence, the candidate will be graduated.
The research specializations for Ph.D. in Computing (by Research) are based on the MQA's program standards. The main research areas are as listed:
- Computer Science
- Information Systems
- Software Engineering
- Information Technology
- Data Science
- Cyber Security
Full-time: Minimum 3 , Maximum 6 Years
Part-time: Minimum 4, Maximum 8 Years
Application and admission are open throughout the year
Local students: ± RM 23,000.00
International students: ± RM 27,000.00
Associate Professor Dr Tariq Zaman
Tel : (+6) 084-367300 ext: 520
*please add @ucts.edu.my after email name