Broadband technology is one of the widely used networking technology. Students will need to know how to apply high speed data transfer technology. This course is meant to introduce the students with the latest computer networking technologies especially in building high speed enterprise backbone networks. Students will have an insight as to what high-speed network are all about. Topics in this course will include technologies such as ATM, Gigabit Ethernet, xDSL, Fiber to the Home and etc.
Content Outline of the Course/Module:
- Introduction to Broadband Network
- Optical Communications
- Asynchronous Transfer Mode (ATM)
- Synchronous Optical Network (SONET) / Synchronous Digital Hierarchy (SDH)
- Digital Subscribe Line Technology
- Gigabits Ethernet
- Wireless Data Service
- Network Management
Upon completion of this course, students should be able to:
- Compare different type of high speed technologies and their applications.
- Design a comprehensive network architecture using various broadband technologies.
- Work in team in determining the shortcoming in high speed network design.
|Teaching-learning Methods||Assessment Methods|
|Lecture||Assignment, Progress Test, Final Examination|
|Lab||Lab Report, Progress Test, Project|