To provide the students the knowledge of internal structure of the digital computer, classic Von Neumann architecture, and relationship between high-level languages constructs on the computer through the low-level languages such as assembly language and C language. This course provides the knowledge about the computer architecture and components of the computer such as system buses, memory, I/O, and CPU.
Content Outline of the Course/Module:
- Introduction to Computer Architecture
- System Buses
- Internal Memory
- External Memory
- Input / Output
- Operating System Support
- Computer Arithmetic
- Instruction Set
- CPU Structure and Function
Upon completion of this course, students should be able to:
- Express internal structure of a computer system and the relationship between the functionalities and the hardware.
- Assemble and fine tuning computer system based on different requirement and needs.
- Demonstrate the importance of appropriate computer system configuration base on the different needs and requirements.
Daniel Tan Yong Wen
|Teaching-learning Methods||Assessment Methods|
|Lecture||Assignment, Progress Test, Final Examination|
|Tutorial||Assignment, Progress Test, Final Examination|
|Computer-based Learning||Assignment, Presentation|